Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving, belated.

I’m tired. It’s been a long week and a longer weekend that just passed.

It was my daughter's 19th birthday last week. She was going to come over on Thursday (the day before her birthday), but blew us off at the last possible moment (an hour before she was to arrive for dinner) and told me she would come on Saturday instead. Fine...

Then the next morning (her actual birthday), she sent me a text message saying she wanted to come for dinner that night instead. Considering that I had planned on making her a cake for when she came over on Saturday, and would not have time to do it when I came home after work, I called hubby and asked him to go to the grocery store and get a cake. He also offered to cook a nice pasta dinner for her… So, I’m walking home at 4:30 when I get a text message from my dear daughter, stating that she made other plans and would see us on Saturday after all. WTF!!??!!

We texted back and forth a bit but ended it by my telling her to have a wonderful time out with her friends, have a great birthday, and I’ll see you for Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday and NOT Saturday because I was not cooking on Saturday, especially after having prepared two dinners already that she blew off.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

So, Sunday arrives. I got up before 9:00 to set up my 17 lb turkey. I’m cleaning the house, making a beautiful dinner, putting the finishing touches on the beautiful neckwarmer I knitted for her, re-wrapped her gift certificates in prettier tissue wrap, and made sure all was as it should be..

She arrives at 4:30 (I told her dinner would be served around 5), and then bitched and complained because she was a bit hungover, and dinner was running a bit later than I had told her. We ended up eating at 6, but she was grouchy and short with everyone. She sat on my knitting chair and surfed facebook for the hour long wait, instead of visiting with her brother and sister who hadn’t seen her in over a month.

Anyway, dinner was served… everything was fantastic - the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravey, stuffing, cranberries, roasted yams, brocolli, creamed corn, sauteed mushrooms, and hot from the oven dinner rolls. The wine was flowing and all seemed to be well.

As soon as I started clearing the plates away, she asked me if we could do the birthday cake because she had to leave to go meet a friend.

I told her she’d have to wait a few minutes, and got whiny, selfish daughter response back. Suffice it to say, we did cake within half an hour of eating, and then she left.

Happy Birthday my beautiful (if selfish) baby girl (who is no longer a child and should know better).

Oh, and the beautiful neckwarmer I took 3 weeks making her… she didn’t really like it. So I told her to leave it, as I didn’t want it sitting on the floor of her closet, but she told me she would give it a chance and test it out before she made any decisions about it. Gosh, sweetie, your all heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lots and lots of hugs!! and happy Canadian thanksgiving:-)
Karola